Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XP or Experience Points in ArgentumRegio

+2
Valerion
GM_ODA
6 posters

Go down

XP or Experience Points in ArgentumRegio Empty XP or Experience Points in ArgentumRegio

Post  GM_ODA Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:58 am

As a small question, I do not really get the idea of reducing the combat XP for non combative classes I mean, what about Warmages, ehrm...I mean... Evocation mages.
I do not understand why mages get less expirience while they have limited combatant skills, I mean, isn't it a greater deed to grow if one does one thing he is not used to be rather then doing something than one is used to?

Or is thiis based so non combatant classes, do things...that give them more xp, I know of bottlemaking, potion making, to give xp, exploring...but that was it so far, scroll making, wand making and enchanting or smithing brought no xp to my wizard.

I am not complaining or so, I would just like to understand why there is a difference, and thanks for the fix now...the most creatures only give me 1 to 50 xp maximum at the moment....I even fought a secundus that only gave me 34 xp before.

Going to test and write down the xp I get from each monster killed.

So long,
GAME ON!
Oliver

The above post taken from a news post reply, I felt it would be best to start a thread - discuss the ideas behind it and how best to refine it to enhance the game experience(pun intended).

First, WARRIOR CLASSes include FIGHTER, RANGER, PALADIN, BLACKGUARD,WEAPON MASTER, MONK

This is a RP (Role Play) server, and we like to see and reward role play. The builder (that is to say, myself, GM_ODA) feels that while combat should generate experience for everyone, it should do so disproportionately for those whose 'central motif' is combat, e.g. the 'Warrior CLASSes'. Further, it is desired that the PURE WARRIOR should gain more experience points from combat than a party-mate whose PC has some levels in a Warrior CLASS and some in another non-Warrior CLASS. We are, as of this writing, experimenting with the algorythms - so bear with us while we make adjustments and PLEASE GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK IN THIS THREAD as this will help guild us in the adjustments needed. Please do give specifics of your PC's CLASSes and levels, and the creature killed with the XP awarded.

A further note on our philosophy regarding Experience Points.

On most other servers, CRAFTing magic items actually COSTS THE CRAFTER EXPERIENCE POINTS. *scratches head* I have never understood how the creation of an item should drain the creator of XP and thereby power, possibly levels. Our crafting costs money, usually a lot of it because magic items generally start from masterwork quality goods. Our crafting takes time away from all other activities. Our crafting is something any PC can attempt, and PC SKILLS, ATTRIBUTES, FEATS, MAGIC ITEMS and other factors influence the results of such attempts. Crafters here are limited only by the resources they have at hand and their own characteristics.

Notice that by NOT costing CRAFTers XP for doing what they love, it in some measure counters the reduction of Experience Points gained by non-Warrior CLASS PCs.

We are creating a list of in game role-playing actions that PCs of various CLASSes can perform to gain Experience Points. At present the list is short but we hope to expand it, especially by PLAYER input. At present, XP may be gained by:

• SCHOLAR CLASS PCs gain XP by collecting books (tomes, librams, grimoires, etc.)
  • BARD CLASS PCs gain XP by performances and carousing
  • WILDERNESS CLASS PCs gain XP by TRACKING, use of some HIDDEN TRAILS
  • LARCENOUS CLASS PCs gain XP by fencing stolen loot, defeating locks and traps, some stealth tricks

Help us round-out this list. Suggest your own ideas in the thread!

Thanks in advance!
Be well. Game on!
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

XP or Experience Points in ArgentumRegio Empty Re: XP or Experience Points in ArgentumRegio

Post  Valerion Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:17 am

Ok I have a few things to post then:

First of all I am not getting any Xp from Blacksmithing, Enchanting Items, Woodworking.
I get xp from bottlemaking and making potions.
Book collecting gives me very low xp from 1 to 15 maximum.

More about Monster XP will follow soon once I tested it with my wizard and my fighter.
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Valerion
Race: Human
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

XP or Experience Points in ArgentumRegio Empty Re: XP or Experience Points in ArgentumRegio

Post  Valerion Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:42 am

Meh I used the wrong Forum section at first for this post...

Well I promised to keep you posted so, here are some Monster XP Infos

Rugnin Herohammer
Dwarf
Fighter
LVL 5

Bandit 54 XP
Bandit Chief 538 XP
Izzargator 1 XP
Bandit Archer 54 XP
Dwarf Mercenary (hard with a lot of HP) 538 XP
Dwarf Mercenary (weak) 92 XP
Nobleman 49 XP
Bugbear 92 XP
Bugbear Shaman 188 XP
Hill Giant 538 XP

LVL 6

Bugbear 77 XP
Ettin 633 XP
Rat 39 XP
Ogremage 226 XP

Valerion Turingskar
Human
Wizard Lvl 20
Rouge LvL 1

Dark Lord 761 XP
Doom Knight 1 XP
Dust Elemental 2216 XP (Holy Crap increased!)
Huge Earth Elemental 93 XP

LvL 21 Wizard
LvL 1 Rouge

Dust Elemental 1658 (Aw damn already sinking that low again)
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  heather Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:43 pm

the crafting system won't give xp unless you have a license from the college, have to complete all the classes to get it.... also you have to do the crafting somewhere outside from the college... and I think the books might be based on your intelligence too maybe...

did have a bit of an idea for extra XP bonuses....
maybe divine classes can get xp for praying to their deity or giving offerings that they would like...? or maybe from doing priestly duties? guess like healing or blessing or so on... could be a bonus for tending to the dead possibly too, like blessing or warding graves, or getting of undead like with turn undead?
was thinking druids specifically can get xp from gathering herbs or offering those...? or maybe from creating/tending a grove or naturey creatures like animals?

was going to suggest maybe a small bit of xp for making scrolls too but not sure if that could get out of hand...

mmm well do really like the crafting system, does really encourage people to try exploring into or making things more without having any penalty really...

heather
Forum Knight

Female Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Melinda Davis
Overall Level: 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Valerion Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:49 pm

I have a license and completed all classes ok I always crafted inside the college because I did not find a f***ing enchanting table anywhere outside of it...now I found one will probably test on that one, maybe I get xp then, and blacksmithing I will now do outside of town maybe that helps.

About the Intelligence....33 over her how's it?^^
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:51 am

The Ogre, Mountain Giants and hill giants still only give one point and no drops, even when I played them when my characters were lower levels. It seems the only high points is the damage the hill giants inflict when they hurl rocks at you. Going through the hill giant cave you do not find anything, no mushrooms to harvest , boulders to mine or even treasure chests. You only get real xp of 20 points per each area if it is first time through.

Other places have spawns which are level dependent. Lack of xp for the amount of effort you put in could have the edge taken off it if you could find the above mentioned items.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Valerion Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:09 am

Neither did any of the monsters my characters have killed give XP and also I found no boulders to mine and so on too.

Would like to find some silver one day^^
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Shar Fri May 25, 2012 9:49 am

I may have posted this before but, not every class fits neatly into one box. a sorcerer is nor really a scholarly class as they bend magic useing sheer will and talent. they do not study and have no spells in the traditional scene, they are literary intended as a combat oriented mage. so why are they counted in in the learned box rather than the fighter box or even the rouge box?

the other problem i see is that, despite pure fighters being combat oriented why would they get more sp for killing a monster with a sword than a wizard would with a spell? they are both using there own unique way of doing the same job so why is one being reworded more?

lastly, the offset from crafting cant really exist. a pure fighter can make glass and gets the same xp as a rough cleric or wiz when doing it so if anything it seems to tip the scales even further with them.
Shar
Shar
Forum Vizier

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Character sheet
Character Name: Ne'Sekoleth
Race:
Overall Level: 20

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Drachen Fri May 25, 2012 2:54 pm

I believe glass XP has been taken away, due to the extreme use of it. Correct me if I'm wrong, somebody who knows 120% for sure please!
DM Drachen
DM Drachen
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 683
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Fri May 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Glass making still there but only 10 xp per bottle.

I agree with Shar that monsters and other hostiles need to take in account the class. The xp could be made the same for all. How fast a hostile is defeated can depend on the class, like maybe some go down faster with a fighter than arcanist, yet can be defeated by all.

Sorcerers rely on their inate powers and spells which are weapons in themselves although some use staffs. Wizards are scholars and take longer to learn but can learn and adjust spells more so than a sorcerer.

Rogues, depending on UMD can be any class.

The thing is that creatures should be able to be taken down by both a pure class and mixed.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Shar Sat May 26, 2012 11:02 am

Animayhem wrote:Glass making still there but only 10 xp per bottle.

I agree with Shar that monsters and other hostiles need to take in account the class. The xp could be made the same for all. How fast a hostile is defeated can depend on the class, like maybe some go down faster with a fighter than arcanist, yet can be defeated by all.

Sorcerers rely on their inate powers and spells which are weapons in themselves although some use staffs. Wizards are scholars and take longer to learn but can learn and adjust spells more so than a sorcerer.

Rogues, depending on UMD can be any class.

The thing is that creatures should be able to be taken down by both a pure class and mixed.

That's not really my point... at least not how i am reading it..

my point is that just because player x kills a monster with a spell and player y kills it with a sword, why should player y get more (or less) xp for doing the same thing a different way? magic classes have to rely on crafting xp and almost nothing else. fighter classes get xp for fighting AND crafting stuff (there's more than just bottles) the system is so fighter bias that it causes problems IMHO. i mean, a wiz can craft ten things which might take a long time, and only get the same xp that a fighter would by killing a single monster but if a fighter wants to craft stuff he gets that xp as well.

I think it would be far better to simply streamline the whole system by saying this monster gives this much xp at this level. no matter what or who you are (barring ecl from sub-races). this way, if you want to get xp from crafting you can, if you want to fight? more power to you. but the current system means that noone with a magic class even bothers to go and adventure because there's no point in doing so. you cant gain xp, you cant get treasure, your better off just staying home.
Shar
Shar
Forum Vizier

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Character sheet
Character Name: Ne'Sekoleth
Race:
Overall Level: 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down